Familian:BidVertiser

Friday 25 March 2016

Thrice I Disowned Him



 








Around the fire that cold night
Where the lowly rubble gathers
Servants, maids, sweepers, cooks
Bearers, washerwomen, laborers
I stood with my head covered
With soiled shawl like a shroud
Hoping to mix in the chatty crowd!

While some talked of cruel weather       
Others cited their little family cares
And some to kill time of unwanted vigil
Took resort to gossip, banter blares
I stood silent with my ears  uptight
If any of the goings-on in the hall
A word about my Master might fall

A woman eyed me with scrutiny
“Aren’t you one of his disciples?”
“Disciple? Far from it, O gentle lady,
You say, are you shorn of all scruples?
I am a lone visitor in the Holy temple
I saw from chill afar the fire’s glare
And was drawn to the soothing flare."       
              
 A man in the circle opined searchingly
 "Like a real Galilean surely you sound
 Some relation you must have with him.          
 From Galilee comes the man there bound."
 The wretch of a woman reappeared there
 "That’s what I was hinting, did you mark?”
 That bitch sharply at me let out a bark


 Oh, these women can certain give men
A hell of a time in families and outside
I protested,” I don’t even know that man.”
While trying to hide a little shiver inside
“A northern traveler I am for Passover
Can’t a poor pedestrian warm his skin
When he got no room in the bursting inn?”     

"Weren’t  you there in the garden when
Someone slashed off my cousin’s ear?"
This, by far, was a more pointed proof
I’ve been recognized, troubled with fear
Protested I vehemently with my might,
“Of the man, I’m as ignorant as a rock.”


Then, the cock heralding the dawn, crowed
At the call my face fell, my spirit shattered
He named me “Rock” and now it has shaken
Nay, the stone has crumbled and scattered
I walked into darkness in sadness drowned
As he had said, him thrice I have disowned!

Xavier Bage
Sat, March 26, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment