Familian:BidVertiser

Wednesday 16 March 2016

Skeleton at My Chamber Door




Everyday, a skeleton
Comes to the door of my medical chamber
And asks, “Doctor Baba, have you come?”
I don’t say yes
Fearing that orthopedic structure
Would enter the chamber
And take a chair
Refusing to go out!




 That rattling configuration of bones
Sometimes I meet outside
Before I open the chamber
The bony jaws break into chatter
Out of courtesy and some Christian love
I stand often to listen to the clatter
Hoping it would stop
Before I fall unconscious on the earth

That 90 year old female skeleton
I once touched with my hands
In an effort to comfort
And sympathize with her sorrows
When she related her story
In her “ Bangaal” Bengali (East Bengal dialect)
I caught some part of the story
And guessed the rest

She must have been
One of the most beautiful girls
In Bangladesh in her youth
Desired by many young men
Married to the most eligible bachelor
Lived a happy family life
Brought up sons two and girls three
All married and with families of their own now

Years have passed
 Her husband passed away
Taking along the joy of her life
Her sons live in new houses
Well furnished and polished
Keeping their mother in an old room outside
Cold like a fridge in winter,
Hot like an oven in summer
Roof leaking in rainy showers
She is made to cook her own food
Wash her dishes
Wash her clothes
 Make her bed and keep awake
Hoping to die at night


The breath in the skeleton
 must be robustly resilient
to do all her chores and continue
to blow in and out.
“I don’t wish to live any more
When will God take me?
Do you have any answer?” she asks.
“Only God knows. It can be any day. Just be ready.”
I’m not sure if the answer is right
For her Bhogoban (God) has already taken her
The person before me is just a skeleton
Wrapped in skin!

Xavier Bage
Wed, March 16, 2016

image: Free image from Pixabay




No comments:

Post a Comment