Familian:BidVertiser

Friday 9 October 2015

Where is My Village?



By Xavier Bage, 16th Jul 2014 |Posted in Wikinut


People often speak of the global village. After I became a member of the global village I missed many values of my native village.

Sharing in leafy cups and plates
How thoroughly thrilled I was to hear
the world is going to be a village!
A village is my haven of love and cheer
Man has progressed so in knowledge!

I’ll meet a brother from land beyond sea;
I’ll speak to a sister from far culture.
What a joy, what a bliss it will be!
Near me draws my ever new adventure!

Vehicles of gods will carry mortal flesh
to distant horizons and beyond.
Smiles and embraces will the winds bless;
Strange hearts will be tied in bond.

Why do they walk about with plugged ears?
Why don’t they speak to me or smile?
Why for my pain they haven’t any tears?
Strangers fill this village with apathy and guile!

Where is it gone, my beloved village of long?
Where is the tree under which I played with mates?
Where is the air of our fathers’ laughter and song?
Sharing of fruit and food, in leafy cups and plates?

My village in the northern countryside --
is drawing with labour its last gasping breath                                                                                      Everything dies in this world of rise and slide;
Let love and brotherhood remain without death
.

                           ***

No comments:

Post a Comment