Familian:BidVertiser

Saturday 3 October 2015

To Bapu, the Moses of India


Dear Bapu,

in my heart I revere you.


My deepest being says I love you.


Did you know why you came to the earth,


on that day in October?


Did you know the purpose of your life


when you went to school?


Did you find it in the heady college days?


Did you think being a barrister was cool?


Did you know why you went to South Africa?


Of all places why did you begin your career


so far from your shackled motherland?


What made you turn your steps to India in 1915?


Did you hear the cries of pain of your brothers and sisters?


“I don’t know” was your reply to the question –


Now that you are in India what will you do?


Were you still searching the destiny of your life?


How did you find the aim of your life?


When did you decide to live completely for others?


In all that you went through


Yahweh was preparing you to be Moses.


You led the millions to the land of liberty


and took your leave


in the morning of independence,


nurturing the sapling with your blood.


I am grateful for giving me this precious gift


of free air to breathe.


But I love you for the person you were.


Your dedication to truth,


your way of non-violence even for an enemy,


and your humility, honesty and purity of purpose,


your devotion to God in all that you did.


I love you because you were a man of God


I trust it was your God-centredness that


filled you with the power necessary


to take on the empire, to defeat the giant!


Like father like son is the proverb


 Let it be alive in me.


I desire to be like you, Bapu


Let your spirit live in me.


By Xavier Bage

Oct 2, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment