Familian:BidVertiser

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Tethered Cows We Are


Why are they making such a noise, Ma?
I can’t study, can’t read my books;
I can’t concentrate on my lessons.
Have to go without preparation, it looks,
Can’t they stop making such loud noise, Ma?

My last three subjects went badly;
I was tired; I was sleepy in the hall.
My hands fell limp on the paper,
The answers, I could not recall;
I may fail the exams this time sadly.

I’m sorry to hear it, my child darling.
They’re singing the revered  god’s  name.
They can’t be told to stop the *kirtan.
They will be angry with us, it’s same…
Everywhere, child, I can’t do anything!

We live in a society, in a religion
Like it or not, with it we’ve got to flow.
We’ll need them some day, my gold;
To them our regards we’ve got to show.
We can’t get out of life’s compulsion.

We are like tethered cows, not free
To do what we like, to say what we like
We can’t get out of this social fence
We’d like but can’t fly away on a hike
We are rooted like a plant or a tree.


O Mama, why, it’s beyond my mind,
They should cause us such sorrow.
Can’t they tone down the volume,
so that I can prepare for tomorrow?
In God’s name, can’t they be kind?

*singing praise of a deity, usually accompanied with playing the harmonium, the drum and cymbals.

By Xavier Bage

No comments:

Post a Comment