Familian:BidVertiser

Sunday 1 May 2016

Wrong Number


















Suddenly rings the mobile phone
“Hello Maria, how are you?
This is Xiv…”
Xiv? Silence with speaker on!
Xiv? The heart gives a flutter!
Xiv? His voice hasn’t changed much
But I can sense the sobriety
Of 20 years in the tone!
               
Flashback! That young man                                
Radiating aura of innocence
A breeze from the northern hills
At St. Xavier’s College gate        
Matching steps to Chowrangee
Chaplin was Tiger Talkies then
Sharing notes in a coffee house
and tender moments at maidan!                  

Photos have turned brown
Chowrangee appears different
Park Circus is not the same
With the flyovers blocking the sky
I am not the same too
With two children18 and 14
and a husband wearing a natural crown!

 Memories rush back like a cyclone
But they feel unwanted, unknown!
Like a call in a wrong number!
“Wrong number!”
I reply and switch off the phone!
But can I really switch off the memories
They sneak into my room
When I’m alone!            

Xavier Bage
Mon, May 02, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment