Familian:BidVertiser

Monday 26 June 2017

Flesh














O four-legged domestic animal
You are surely a goddess.
In my primary school
I was told to write
A paragraph on you
I was given a model paragraph
To base my work on it
Instead I copied down
On my exercise ‘copy’-book
I made good use of the copybook!
Now, I truly accept you are Mother
Because many of my countrymen say so
And are angry
enough to lynch other Indians
To protect you!

O two-legged domestic human,
You are surely flesh!
In my childhood you were my mother
My sister and my school mate
You were a person like me
To be loved and to love
To respect and to be faithful to
Now I am shocked to find you
Bared and bloodied by my countrymen
Teased and taunted on streets
Ravaged and raped in buses
 Battered and butchered in bushes
Woman, I’m forced and compelled
To accept what I never imagined
That you are flesh,
You are nothing but flesh!


Xavier Bage
Mon, June 26, 2017


              


No comments:

Post a Comment